Justin Ryker Swick

Justin Ryker Swick

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

If It Makes YOU Happy...


So many times we hear or say, "Well, if that's what makes you happy", or  "As long as you're happy, that's all that matters" or even "Do what makes you happy."   Is that really all that matters? 
A time of reflection
 There are a lot of things I need to change in my life, there are a lot of things I need to let go of.  I need change, in a big way, but I think this is probably the biggest idea I need to let go of.  I don't recall, (and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), one time in the bible where Jesus says, "It's okay, as long as YOU are happy".  I am just as guilty of this as the next person.  There are times when I give into guilty pleasures; worldly things; that I foolishly believe will make me "happy."

 I can honestly say I do not think there was one time, or one thing, that I chose just because it made me "happy" that actually made me happy.  Just the opposite, in fact, the choices I have made because they were supposed to make me happy  ultimately ended up stealing my joy eventually.  It is not about what makes me happy, or how happy I am, (or you are). 

What if instead of saying "Well, if that's what makes him/her happy." We say, "Well, if that's what makes him/her holy".  If we are following Christ and his words that's what would makes us happy, truly happy, that's where you get joy.  I'm choosing today.  I'm choosing today to change; to not give into worldly pleasures that are going to make me happy, instead I'm going to give into God and make choices that make me holy instead. 

It is then that I can stand with my head held high.  It's then that I can stand behind my words and receive his blessings wholeheartedly.  When I give into what makes me happy, I end up putting myself in the devil's path.  Showing him my weaknesses and letting him use them to drag me down, and allowing myself to drag other's down with me. For when I choose just what makes me happy, I take away from God.  I dull his light that is supposed to shine through me because I am being too self centered to allow Christ to be seen through me.  Instead of bringing people to Christ, I end up pushing them away from him.
 So, it is today, that I am choosing to change.  I will try not to make choices based on what makes me happy, rather what makes God happy.  I know that I will falter, I am not perfect, and even when I make my mind up, I still stumble; but I am making an effort.  I want to live for God not for me.  I want to be holy not happy, only then will I be truly joyful. 


1 Peter 1:15-17
15but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; 16because it is written, "YOU SHALL BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY." 17If you address as Father the One who impartially judges according to each one's work, conduct yourselves in fear during the time of your stay on earth;…
Romans 12:1-2
1Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. 2And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.…
 

2 comments: